Artificial intelligence is around us every day. You can have your smartphone guide you through the day, self-drive cars on the streets, and home automation issuing commands of managing a household.
As a parent with a child who has an interest in science and engineering, you may want to get him/her a robot kit. These kits allow your children to learn programming basics, grow intellectually, and be ready for the advancements in technology.
The detailed guide below takes you through some of the common questions you may have about robot kits, and some of the best robot kits to ensure endless fun for your family.
Table of Comparison
Robot Kit FAQs
Below are some common FAQs about robot kits.
What are Robot Kits?
Robot kits are unique construction kits consisting of motors, mechanical elements, sensors, structural elements, and other controls.
Why Should You Invest in a Robotics Kit?
You should invest in robotics it if you want to encourage your child’s interest in science and technology fields. Also, the best robot kit can be a source of fun apart from working as a creative outlet.
What Makes a Good Robotics Kit?
The best robot kit should help your child learn and keep him engaged. Also, the package should have easy to follow instructions to achieve the product. It should also be of quality build, durable, and be within your budget.
How We Reviewed
We picked the top 10 best robot kits after several hours of research. Our research involved evaluating particular features like inbuilt sensors, design, and the options it offers for personalization and creativity. We also chose kits that could accommodate different age groups as this ensures the whole family can have fun when using the kits.
Our kits also looked at factors like:
Most robot kits go for $80 to $300. However, you can find expensive kits with more advanced features.
Top Best Robot Kits
Some of the best robot kits include:
- Who doesn't love robots? Introduce kids to the creative world of coding with the best educational STEM toys to foster their curiosities. Building, learning, and programming robots has never been more fun!
- Includes 847 LEGO pieces that kids can build and rebuild into 5 cool multifunctional models. The best and most popular robotics toys for 7-12 year old boys and girls who love to tinker and learn about science. Use the latest tech like color, distance and tilt sensors.
- Construct and code Vernie the Robot to dance, rock out on the Guitar4000, foster Frankie the Cat, interact with the Autobuilder, or explore a new discovery with the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4). The IQ-boosting activities are endless!
- Vernie the Robot stands over 10" (27cm) tall, Guitar4000 over 1” (5cm) high, 16” (42cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide, Frankie the Cat over 6” (17cm) tall, AutoBuilder over 10” (27cm) high, M.T.R.4 over 4” (12cm) high, 9” (23cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.
- A tablet or mobile phone is required, but not included. Compatible with selected iOS, Android, Kindle and Windows 10 devices with BLE 4.1 and newer. Compatible with select mobile devices.
Lego Boost Creative building set has five models in one package. Each model is educational and challenging. It also comes with a play mat for particular activities and a LEGO boost wall poster. Find the icon-based coding interface and a variety of activities around each model. The easy to follow instructions for a versatile rover with different tool attachments, a guitar, and Vernie the Robot.
Pros and Cons
- Builders of all ages will love building and coding their fully-functional robot to walk, talk, and even play games or complete tasks! This educational STEM robot toy makes engineering fun for everyone who builds it.
- LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 is built with 601 pieces and includes the intelligent EV3 Brick, 3 servo motors, plus color, touch and IR sensors. Connect with your smart device and download the free EV3 programmer app to control the robot!
- LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 comes with instructions for 17 different robotic designs, each with its own unique features. Builders can program their STEM robots to talk, walk, grab, shoot targets and more! Kids will love this creative and educational toy!
- LEGO MINDSTORMS building toys are compatible with all LEGO construction sets for creative building.The perfect tech toy if you want to build your own robot and explore endless learning activities
- The main robot, SPIK3R, is over 16” high, 14” long and 15” wide.
The Lego Mindstorms comes with three servo motors, 600 pieces, IR sensors, intelligent EV3 brick, and color sensors. You can control the robot with a free EV3 programmer or connect it with a smart device. The EV3 has instruction for 17 robotic designs.
Pros and Cons
- Adjustable Straps - One Size Fits All
- Play as a robot: demolish your in-game surroundings and take on challenges to unlock powerful abilities
- Customize your robot's in-game appearance and use your own markers and other supplies to decorate your Toy-Con Robot
- Challenge a friend using their own Toy-Con Robot in a two-player battle mode on a single screen*
- With the Robot Kit and the included Toy-Con Garage mode, you can invent new ways to play with your Toy-Con Robot by using special input nodes or create your very own Toy-Con projects
The Nintendo Labo Robot Kit comes with adjustable straps and allows you to customize the in-game robot appearance. Find the two-player battle mode on a single screen to challenge a friend. The toy-con garage mode enables you to invent new ways to play with the toy-con robot.
Explore the Nintendo Switch Technology and its function in bringing the Toy-con robot to life.
Pros and Cons
- ULTIMATE ROBOT VALUE PACK: Our Wonder Pack comes with the Dot and Dash robots, building brick connectors, charging cords, a tow hook, a bulldozer bar, a launcher and balls, target stickers, a bunny ears and tail set, and a xylophone.
- LEARN THE BASICS OF CODING: Dot and Dash are ready to go straight out of the box and use fun challenges to teach your child the block-based coding skills they will need for middle and high school while developing critical thinking skills.
- AWARD-WINNING ROBOTS: Wonder Workshop robots are used in over 20, 000 classrooms worldwide and are seen by educators as leaders in the coding robot space. The accessories in the Wonder Pack keep kids engaged and learning over time.
- 5 FREE MOBILE APPS: Download 5 free apps for iOS, Android, or Kindle Fire 8 or later. Use these to help Dash and Dot sing, dance, navigate obstacles, respond to voice commands, respond to each other, and work together to solve the app challenges.
- HUNDREDS OF HOURS OF CODING: The free in-app challenges give your child hundreds of hours of STEM learning, while the fun accessories let you easily turn your robots into everything from a bulldozer to a catapult for engaging freeform play.
The Dash and Dot Robot Wonder Pack come as a set of robots that can cruise around, make music, and built. Your children can adorn the robots with any decoration as they are Lego compatible. It’s ideal for children over six years.
Pros and Cons
- The 4M Tin Can Robot teaches the value of recycling by repurposing a used can into a fun and functional robot.
- No special tools or knowledge required; the kit contains detailed instructions and all the necessary parts.
- Just add a used soda pop can and let the fun begin.
- Use the kit to create a silly robot or a motorized monster, or a combination of the two.
- Requires one AA batteries (not included). Recommended for ages 8 years and up. Works well and long with Polaroid Batteries.
The 4M Tin Can Robot comes with a set of instructions and the necessary parts. Ideal for children over eight years, the kit can convert into a motorized monster or a silly robot. You need two AA batteries that are not included in the pack.
Pros and Cons
- Read the funny story of two inquisitive kids in this read-along and build-along adventure
- Build simple, non-motorized models of the robots they construct and fix during their adventure to an automated candy factory
- The robots have moving parts, wheels, and gears
- Kids can learn firsthand about simple machines and gear trains
- Large, colorful plastic building pieces make it easy for small hands to put the models together
The Kids First Robot Engineer kit is ideal for three to ten-year-olds. Find robots with gears, moving parts, and wheels. The colorful and large pieces are suitable for small hands to construct the robot.
Pros and Cons
- The original and authentic Magformers. Build with 6 Triangles, 14 Squares, 2 Rhombus, 2 Trapezoid, 2 Arch, 4 Sector, 5 Mini Rectangle, 1 Super Rectangle.
- Perfect for brain development, critical thinking and education.
- Step-by-step educational idea booklet with follow along ideas and instructions.
- Neodymium rare-earth magnets for guaranteed connectivity. Compatible with all Magformers shapes and accessories. Super strong, safe and durable BPA-free High Quality ABS plastic. Conforms to CE, ASTM and EN71
- Ages 3 years and up.
The Magformers walking robot consists of a step by step idea booklet, a STEAM engine block, and eight walking characters. Also, the set is compatible with Magformers accessories and shapes.
Pros and Cons
- This kit gives kids a simple, fun, and customizable introduction to robotics that lets them build eight motorized machines.
- Using the app interface, you can program the robots you build to behave based on the feedback coming from the ultrasound sensor.
- A full-color, 64-page step-by-step illustrated manual helps kids assemble all of the models and teaches them about robotics in the real world.
- The ultrasonic sensor works on the same principle as Sonar.
- Requires a tablet or smartphone running iOS or Android (not included).
The Smart Machines Science robotics kit comes with an illustrated manual on how to assemble the different models. Its ultrasonic sensor functions like sonar, but you need a smartphone or a tab to operate the kit.
The robotics app uses ultrasonic sensor feedback to control the eight models. Kids can write their programs on the app or use a demo program to get a model moving.
Pros and Cons
The UBITECH JIMU learning kit consists of interactive, buildable, and codable robotics. The kit contains what you need to build Muttbot, Buzzbot, or a JIMU robot creation. Use the Pose, record, and play function to program JIMU robots. Get six smooth robotic servo motors, 263 snap-together parts, one single control box, a lithium-ion battery, power adapter, and a start guide.
Pros and Cons
After going through the list of the best robot kit, we found the Lego Boost, a top contender as it provides kids with programming and building skills with endless fun. It’s also affordable and a fantastic kit to teach kids about building robots.
Last update on 2021-11-21 at 11:49 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API