Image from Amazon
Virtual reality is one of the fastest growing sectors, even within the exploding tech space. With more companies popping up every year, it can be hard to keep track of which products are leading and innovating. One of those such companies is ReTrak which is famous for their Utopia 360 VR system, which enables you to experience virtual reality at an affordable price.
In this ReTrak Utopia 360 VR review, we’ll be discussing the benefits of this product and how it compares to the competition. With the market heating up, this ReTrak Utopia 360 VR review is going to be fiery. There is plenty of good competition and standing out is becoming tougher than ever, especially with Google and Facebook entering into the fray.
What is ReTrak Utopia 360 VR?
- UNMATCHED VIRTUAL REALITY EXPERIENCE: Dive into the world of virtual reality entertainment with Utopia 360 VR Headset. Watch movies, play games, take a virtual tour, even overcome phobias with our innovative VR technology.
- ULTRA-COMPATIBLE: Powered by your own device, the Utopia 360 virtual reality headset is suited for iPhone iOS and Androids products. With hundreds of free VR apps from the Google Play and App Store, there are limitless possibilities of where Utopia 360 can take you. Use with iPhone 6/6s/7/7 plus/8/8plus/X; Samsung S5, S6, S6 edge, S7, S7 edge, S8, Note 4, 5,7; LG G3, G4, G5, G6, V10, V20; Google pixel & pixel XL; Nexus 5, 6P; OnePlus 5; HTC U11 iPod touch, etc.
- COMFORTABLE AND ADAPTABLE DESIGN: Other VR headsets are stiff and uncompromising, Utopia 360 has 3 straps and a ventilated cushion to keep you cool. Dual adjustable focus allows you to modify the focal length and interpupillary distance (PD) to suit your needs. The built-in action button provides maximum app compatibility with touch technology.
- CONVENIENT AND TRANSPORTABLE: Take Utopia 360 with you! Our headset is lightweight with a portable design that is perfect for on-the-go. The form-fit cushion provides maximum comfort no matter where you are.
- STATE-OF-THE-ART-OPTICS: Ditch the eye strain caused by other VR products and enjoy a pleasant viewing experience with the anti-glare, Lucidview Lens System. Optimize your virtual reality experience with seamless 360 vision from any angle.
This system is a VR goggle, allowing you to enter into a virtual world. By using your movements, you’ll be able to visually interact with different elements within a game of a movie set. The Utopia currently operates with mobile phone devices and allows you to explore or enjoy applications that you can download from the Play Store or Apple store.
However, it’s worth noting that it doesn’t appear to allow integration into Playstation, Xbox or PC games currently, which reduces the possibilities greatly. Given that currently, the options for VR games and experiences on mobile devices is limited, you’re not going to get access to the full plethora of opportunity that VR currently offers.
Unfortunately, with most virtual reality developers focusing on larger devices where the memory and processing speed allows for more detail, this is unlikely to change. Therefore, it’s important to consider whether you want to enjoy VR at the highest levels through a desktop computer or whether mobile games and experiences are what you’re looking for.
The headset itself connects to use the movement of your head to translate into the game or visual experience. The headset has a tight strap and a form-fitting mask with padded foam to allow for a more comfortable fit so that you can play for long periods without experiencing discomfort.
With the headset, you’ll also get a small Bluetooth controller which connects wirelessly to your mobile phone. With this controller, you’ll be able to play the game. The control itself isn’t very intuitive and is similar to an old Nintendo Wii control, rather than the more modern versions that Playstation and Xbox have produced.
The Utopia headset requires batteries to operate and connects to your mobile device. It’s currently compatible with iPhones and almost every Android device including those by HTC, Samsung and other popular producers. It uses a three-way strap to keep the padded and cushioned mask tightly on your face, allowing for a comfortable fit.
The controller comes with 8-buttons, which means that you can play more complex games and experiences. The package weighs 0.431kg, which means that the headset itself is around 0.3kg, making it relatively light so that it doesn’t hurt your neck or head when you’re playing. The device is plastic, which isn’t overly strong but is cheap and lightweight.
The feature which ReTrak is promoting heavily in their advertising is the comfort of the headset. It uses cushioning and foam which help to prevent stress along the bridge of your nose and eyebrows. Likewise, it has a three-strap system to ensure a comfortable fit no matter the size or shape of your face, meaning that it should be a good fit for everybody.
- Our VR headset was designed with the user in mind. Other VR products are uncomfortable and lack adjustability. Utopia 360 features a form-fit cushion with cooling ventilation for maximum breathability. We also added 3-way adjustable straps with additional padding for the ultimate, customized feel.
- The Bluetooth Controller adds to the already immersive VR experience by giving you total control in games, virtual words, and other virtual reality apps. Not only is our VR headset lightweight, you can take it with you! Utopia 360 is portable and perfect for on-the-go adventures. The form-fit cushion provides maximum comfort no matter where you are.
- Utopia 360 is powered by your own device and is compatible with virtually any product, including iPhone iOS and Android. With hundreds of free VR apps from the Google Play and App Store, there are limitless possibilities of where our virtual reality technology can take you.
- Other virtual reality headsets are stiff and uncompromising, Utopia 360 has 3 straps and a ventilated cushion to keep you cool. Dual adjustable focus allows you to modify the focal length (FL) and interpupillary distance (PD) to suit your needs. The built-in action button provides maximum app compatibility with touch technology. Optimize your virtual reality experience with seamless 360 vision from any angle. Ditch the eye strain caused by other VR products and enjoy a pleasant viewing.
- Utopia 360 VR Headset is compatible with most smartphones, such as iPhone 6/6s/7/7 plus/8/8plus/X; Samsung S5, S6, S6 edge, S7, S7 edge, S8, Note 4, 5, 7; LG G3, G4, G5, G6, V10, V20; Google pixel & pixel XL; Nexus 5, 6P; OnePlus 5; HTC U11 etc., iPod touch, etc.
During our ReTrak Utopia 360 VR review, we were surprised at how cheap this headset is. However, according to many reviewers, this low price correlates with the poor quality of the controller and device, which is uncomfortable and not very durable. To cut on costs, they have used thin plastic components which are not durable and won’t last for long.
The price is meager, however, and therefore you might justify paying it to try virtual reality for the first time before you decide whether you want to invest further. You can currently buy the headset and controller for around $25.20, making it one of the cheapest products in the industry and a great option for a children's birthday present.
However, we want to reiterate; the quality of this device is in line with the price point. You shouldn’t expect it to last forever, or to operate flawlessly. Reviewers have complained about stuck buttons and uncomfortable headsets, which is why we think this might only be a good entry-level choice for those who have never enjoyed VR before.
How it Compares
Image from Amazon
To properly conduct a ReTrak Utopia 360 VR review it’s critical that we compare it to other headsets and systems that are available. An important note is that we are only looking at devices which are in a similar price range because it’s not fair to compare Utopia to the HTC headset or the Oculus Rift. Hence, we tried to keep the variables constant.
We look at:
- ✅ Perfect gift for kids & adults – Premium VR set present for father's day, Halloween, Easter, Christmas, Black Friday, Cyber Monday sale. Virtual reality VR glasses for kids. Compatible with smartphones and other mobile phone devices with a 4"-6.3” screen to bring you a totally immersive visual 360 experience. with an eBook
- ✅ VR Smartphone compatibility: Smartphones with a gyro sensor (almost all models) and with a 4"-6.3” screen. Examples: VR goggles are compatible with models X, XR, XS, 8, 8 plus, 9, 9 plus, 11, 11 pro, 12 mini, 12 pro, SE, etc. Also compatible with Samsung Android Galaxy note 20, s20, one plus, Box VR, Google Pixel etc.
- ✅ Advanced VR gaming technology - Gaming and watching movies with virtual reality headsets work best when your eyes properly align with the screen box. That’s why our VR headset offers FD and OD adjustments (wide FOV) to expand the viewing angle and perfectly match focal distance and unilateral myopic alignment for reduced distortion
- ✅ Comfortable, extended wear design – Once you start gaming and watching VR movies with 3D goggles, you’re never going to want to take it off. That’s why we offer a comfort-fit experience with a fully adjustable head strap, eyesight protection system, and a soft nose piece to reduce pressure. Can also support drones that require a phone VR headset
- Exclusive VR content & online support – The VR headset (viewer) is delivered with our special free VR content list of VR games & VR experiences. Compatible with google cardboard apps that DON'T require a button (some of them), and many other VR apps & adventures that can be found on the Applications Stores. Para gafas de realidad virtual.
This headset is available for around $35 depending on postage costs and any discounts that are currently available. It works under a similar premise as the Utopia, which makes this a fair comparison. The BNext VR system also works on iPhone and Android devices, allowing you to experience virtual reality without the need for an expensive computer or system.
Unlike the Utopia, it doesn’t come with a control, which makes it impossible to play some games, which is frustrating. However, according to the reviews that we read, the goggles are superior to having a quality build and more comfortable padding. With more straps and a better cut across the nose and eyes, it’s likely to be more comfortable for the vast majority of users.
The problem with these goggles is that some people claimed the lenses and therefore the screen isn’t great. With some applications or videos, they found it unconvincing and experiencing lagging movement. As a result, they were unimpressed and believed that the producer or sellers might have faked some of the positive reviews.
- √ Eye Protected Anti-blue Light HD Lenses - Eye-protected lenses with unparalleled clarity make VR movies a visual experience comparable to world-renowned IMAX. DESTEK V4 will always make sure you have the best seat in your private theatre wherever you really are.
- √ More Gaming fun with Touch Button – Press the button, take on hordes of zombies, aliens or any other foe you want to vanquish to achieve your mission; Target...shoot...collect bonuses to win the Frisbee game. The Touch Button brings more fun and versatility in your VR games.
- √ Comfortable Wearing & Easily Adjustable - The face padding made of soft leather makes your skin feel comfortable and allows you to view longer without irritation. The head strap has upward 9 degrees of adjustment to prevent the strap from touching your ears while relieving pressure on your head and nose. The object/pupil distance can be adjusted separately to get clearest view without your own glasses (even for consumers with myopia under 600°, hyperopia under 300° or astigmatic under 100°).
- √ Wide Compatibility - Share one DESTEK V4 with the whole family! It supports smartphones with 4.5-6 inches screen, such as iPhone X 8 7 plus/6s/6/6 plus, Samsung s8/s8 Plus/s7/s7 Edge/s6/s6 Edge Note8/5/4/3, LG g6 g5 g4 g3 v20, and Daydream phones like Google Pixel/Pixel XL/Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL, Samsung s8/s8 plus, Moto Z/Z Force, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, etc.
The DESTEK V4 is another new entrant to the market, although the brand itself has been making these devices for a few years the V4 is the latest invention. It uses the same technology as the others in this review but differs slightly when it comes to the strap and headgear in an attempt to maximize comfort and promote a superior experience.
Rather than only having padding at the front of the mask where it sits on the nose and eyes, they use a large pad behind the pad on the back of the strap. The reason for this is because the heavy mask will tip forwards and pull at the end of your head, which can cause soreness and itching. The padding should help to reduce this discomfort.
According to favorite reviewers, the comfort of this headset is excellent, and it’s incredibly easy to set up within a minute or less. The ease of use is excellent due to the detailed manual which comes with the headset, ensuring that you can get going quickly.
We were impressed with the build quality of this product, which seems to be superior to the other devices including the Utopia. While it is a little bit more expensive, it would be smart to spend a few more dollars and experience a more enjoyable process. Pain and nausea are the biggest deterrents to VR adoption, which is why the DESKTEK is a popular product.
Pros and Cons of the Utopia
The primary reason why the Utopia is famous is that it’s cheap and this can be important for those on a tight budget. It offers a reasonable experience without demanding that you spend a vast amount of money. The design is very attractive and futuristic, which is a great feature when you’re wearing a relatively goofy product.
On the flipside, the Utopia isn’t as comfortable as competitors like the DESTEK V4 headset. The Utopia also has poor build quality, meaning that it has lousy durability and won’t give you the excellent experience that you’re looking for. Some people experienced pain and discomfort, with others struggling to get a fit that allowed them to enjoy the experience.
Although a cheap VR headset is a smart decision to ensure that you enjoy virtual reality before you spend more, with the Utopia you’re going to get a cheapened experience. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money, we would recommend the DESTEK V4 headset which costs slightly more but has a far superior headset which is more comfortable and durable.
You’re likely to get much higher bang for your buck with the DESTEK rather than the ReTrak system, ensuring that you don’t feel ripped off. We would suggest upgrading to a superior system like the Oculus Rift if you have the money. The difference is night and day and will allow you to consume and play far more complex and deep content.
Last update on 2021-05-08 at 23:59 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API